Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Anyone who knows me, knows that I deal with back pain on a 24/7, daily basis. Diagnosed with spinal degeneration, in short, the cartilage in my lower back is either pulled tight or pinched depending on the vertebrae. Last time I had it checked (in late September, shortly before coming to Moscow) I had reached the 4th out of 5 categories in severity. There's no cure and since I'm super stubborn and I love ballet, I'm ignoring my chiropractor's suggestion to quit dancing for now at least.

So since it's been bothering me more than usual, I decided to head down to the Academy doctor's office to complain and get a slip of paper, excusing me from class for a few days. My plan was just to go have her look at me and say to rest, because since my back pain is lifelong all I really need is a short mental health break before going back in.

Let's just say things did not go as planned. 
 
The doctor was in a bad mood when I got there. Angrily asking what was wrong I told her my back was sore. She FLIPPED OUT. Telling me how bad that was and how I was a stupid dancer for hurting it in the first place. She sent me back outside to the waiting room and said she'd be making phone calls and by nighttime I'd be in a hospital. So, since I'm a person who'd rather die than go to the hospital, of course I was unnerved. I tried to explain that I had seen a doctor in America and I knew what was wrong and I just needed to rest. That made her even more mad. She told me I was stupid and disrespectful and to go to the nurse so that they could have data such as my temperature to give to the hospital. Turns out I had a fever. So when I had to report my temperature to the doctor she scolded me for being selfish and not coming to the doctor sooner and telling her because soon I would infect the whole school and when no one could dance it would be all my fault.
 
So after all that, arrangements were made for me to go the Global Medical Center and I was not pleased. I called my Mom at 4:30am her time asked what I had to do. I had to go to the ATM to get 7000 rubles to pay for this myself since it was too early in the morning for the Academy to contact my insurance. But neither of my debit cards were working. Then I briefly thought I lost my passport. So when Morgan asked me if everything was okay I just started crying and hyperventilating to the point when Morgan decided she'd be accompanying me to the hospital. 
 
Once we got there, I had to fill out my own hospital forms. And I decided that I didn't want to be a grownup. After a short wait I ended up in an exam room with a doctor saying that the doctor at the Academy requested X-rays and thankfully he didn't deem that necessary. He told me to take off my boots, jeans and t shirt and proceeded to administer mediocre chiropractic care. Surprisingly it worked. 
 
So 6 hours after this all started I finally arrived back at the academy it was dinner time. I thought, "Wow, I'm lightheaded with hunger and I have a splitting headache. Surely I can eat before seeing the doctor again." I was wrong. A nurse came into the dining hall and demanded that I go see the doctor right. this. second. So I went and the devil started yelling again because I guess she just likes yelling. I just answered, "Da." to every question because I was too tired to try and translate. 
 
And like a soldier from battle, I left that room waving a little, green sheet of paper saying that I didn't have to dance for 5 days.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my, Emma! You have truly been thru an ordeal! How sweet of Morgan to go with you to the hospital and I don't blame you one bit for not wanting to be a grown up! I believe anyone would have felt similarly. Prayers for healing and relaxation going your way...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for what you are going through Emma! We hope you are feeling better. Hard to believe anyone could be so mean to such a sweet girl. This whole experience has certainly been eye-opening to say the least. Keeping you in our prayers for healing.
    Love, Grandma and Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG... Don't they have any compassion...My family worked in Russia for several years with the American Embassy and told us this is what it was like but I couldn't imagine it... Please know that we are saying our prayers along with our friends Nita and Al (Grandma and Poppy)..... Helen Moll

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad Morgan went with you and appalled at the attitude of the Academy doctor. Praying your back feels world better with a bit of rest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are the cutest thing! I'll be praying for your back. I did not know this about you. I'm so sorry to hear that because I know it interferes with your dancing. I'm more amazed at you than ever. Love you, sweet girl.

    ReplyDelete