Tuesday, November 11, 2014

So in my first week here in Russia I've learned a few things:

1: Languages are hard. Incredibly so. After being told several times that English was the hardest language to learn, I didn't believe it until just about 2 hours ago. English is very hard. I'm in an accelerated Russian language class here at the Academy (My teacher is a little old man named Alexander Simeonavich with a wonderful sense of humor) and we are learning the grammar cases
of the Russian Language. After struggling for a few days it clicked and I now understand the six cases pretty well. Just think, the English language has TWENTY-SIX cases. *sings Proud To Be An American*
 
2: Which brings me to point number two. It's true. Americans ARE looked down upon. It's recommended that you don't speak English on the streets. And in general it's just strange to be a minority. Even in the dorms, Russian is the common language and it's very strange because for the first time in my life I don't fluently speak the dominant language. Americans, compared to other nationalities are "fat" (especially in the ballet world), slow with learning, and no matter what you own, it's nicer than everyone elses. 
 
3: Russian food is horrible. I'm honestly having a very hard time swallowing it sometimes. Every. Single. Morning. We have kasha, which is the Russian version of cream of wheat/oatmeal. And I can promise you, once I leave Russia, I will NEVER eat it again.
 
4: Russian men are bold. My roommates Sophia, Morgan and I were on the metro this past Sunday out to buy ballet attire and on the way home there were three Russian boys around the age of eighteen staring at us. Unfortunately every time we went to change trains they were already on the train (no, they weren't following us. The way it happened it actually looked like we were following them!) They laughed at us and winked, before getting off at their stop, gesturing for us to call them. And the previous week, we were taking a selfie (yes, yes I know) and a group of about fifteen boys started yelling "American girls! Hi! Over here!" We shook our heads and pretended to not look interested, but, they all came over with their phones out. So thats the story of how we took huge group selfies with a group of Russians in army uniform. 
 
5: Last but not least, I really love ballet. I love it so much. That's all I can say because there aren't words to express it. That's why I dance. No words are needed.

1 comment:

  1. Emma, you are a great writer! We are really enjoying your posts. It sounds like you are adjusting well and for that, we are so happy! Too bad about the food, but maybe that is how they keep everyone so skinny! LOL! I'm so glad you have your 2 American roommates to go places with. There is safety in numbers and they seem like really nice girls. Sounds like this whole is experience is about more than just ballet! Love you! Poppy and Grandma

    ReplyDelete